30 August 2009

Slim Pickens



For the past two days I've been working on a model of Slim Pickens - one of my favourite cowboys. Of corse I had to look at Dr Stragelove about a thousand times but hey, it's a great film, it doesn't hurt to watch it another time. Which is what I'll do tonight as by chance not far from me there's a mobile solar powered cinema showing guess what? Yes, Dr Strangelove.
It's part of Climate Camp, the environmentalist event that is taking my neck of the wood by storm.
I meant to go and check it out, I haven't done it yet because I was busy, also, I have to confess, I have reservations on the movement, but sure enough, if it wasn't for them I wouldn't have known that I shouldn't buy my energy from EON.

3 comments:

Vince M said...

Good likeness. Always loved Slim. He's in full cowboy gear in "Blazing Saddles", if you need additional reference.

Now you need to do a version of him riding the bomb.

max said...

Hi Vince, I think I'm going for the Blazing Saddles look indeed, but once you do the model changing pose isn't that difficult, so the bomb-ride may well happen (by the way, Bjorn's Rocket Ride is not that far off).
I'm doing a realistic character because I want to practice with facial expressions and there aren't many faces as expressive as Slim Pickens.
I also saw Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid the other day, Slim Pickens has a small but beautiful part. He gets killed and it's a massive tearjerker, I cry every time.

Unknown said...

AWESOME sculpture!!